Brass 260, commonly referred to as “Cartridge Brass,” is a versatile and widely-used alloy in the CNC machining world. Its combination of ductility, strength, and corrosion resistance makes it a preferred choice for a range of applications.
Chemical Composition: Brass 260 is primarily composed of:
- Copper: 68.5-71.5%
- Zinc: 28.5-31.5%
This specific composition gives Brass 260 its characteristic yellow color and mechanical properties.
- Ductility: Brass 260 is known for its excellent ductility, allowing it to be formed into complex shapes without cracking.
- Good Strength: Suitable for many applications due to its balanced strength.
- Corrosion Resistance: Resistant to weathering and exposure to most typical atmospheric conditions.
Machining Insights: Brass 260 offers good machinability, though not as exceptional as C360. It produces a smooth, polished finish when machined, making it ideal for decorative parts. Its ductility also means it can be easily cold worked.
Applications in CNC Machining:
- Musical Instruments: Used in the creation of horns and other wind instruments due to its acoustic properties.
- Decorative Hardware: Its bright gold-like appearance makes it popular for decorative fixtures and fittings.
- Ammunition Casings: Often used for bullet casings because of its formability and durability.
- Architectural Trim and Detailing: Its resistance to corrosion and aesthetic appeal make it a choice material for exterior and interior design elements.
Design Tips for Engineers:
- Utilize Brass 260’s ductility for designs that require intricate forming or shaping.
- While it offers good corrosion resistance, consider the specific environment for its use, especially if exposed to more aggressive conditions.
- It can be easily soldered and brazed, offering flexibility in joining methods.
Brass 260 combines aesthetics with functionality, making it a sought-after material in CNC machining. Its versatility ensures it caters to both functional requirements and design aspirations.
For more insights on Brass 260 and its applications in CNC machining, or to discuss your specific project needs, connect with our team